Monday, March 29, 2010

The hardest job on earth

Tell me, how many dirty pants can you clean in one day?! I just realized this weekend that we've been attempting to potty-train our 3 year old for 6 months now. SIX very long and very frustrating months. I tell you, having a few years of mothering experience under my belt (10 years counts for something doesn't it?) pottytraining is still the single most frustrating experience for me personally. UGH! I decided that since I was already working on one, why not throw a second into the mix. So, as if I wasn't frustrated enough (really, why do we as moms do such silly things to ourselves) I decided to go ahead and start pottytraining our 2 yr old also. I have to say, that he seems to be picking it up quickly but it is still exhausting. Neither of them seem to have a clue when it comes to going #2 in the toilet. Ok, probably way too much information but I was thinking today that this really has other applications to life.
You invest so much time and effort into something and sometimes, it just doesn't seem to make a difference. I know that we may never see the fruit of our efforts here on earth but we are still called to do our part. We pour so much of our lives into our children specifically but also other relationships and what if they don't turn out like we had hoped and prayed for? Do we count ourselves or our efforts as failures. I have to believe that it isn't for naught. Even when we do make mistakes as of course, we are prone to do, God can still use us!
The following is an excerpt from a paper that our oldest daughter, Allie, wrote last week. Every now and then, God allows little glimpses of His plan and how He is using us to touch others.
"I am going to explain in this writing why I believe in Jesus and why I am a Christian. I have good parents thankfully that take the time to explain it to me."
"God was here before time began. He loves all the people in the world so He sent His Son, Jesus to die on the cross, so we would be saved and would be able to go to Heaven."
"I believe in Jesus because I believe He died for us and He loves us so much He gave us a choice to believe in Him or not. He is amazing and can do many things for us. There is no god like Him, no one is like Him. I am happy now to know I can be with Him in Heaven."
"I think people should know about Jesus. One day every knee will bow and everyone will know the one Living God. I hope many people will come to know Christ."
"I hope many people also realize God lives before it's a little too late to change."
Wow, I think she says it better than I. Pottytraining is important and difficult but pales in comparison to our mission here on earth. May I not get so caught up in my daily challenges that I take my eyes off the prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment