Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Make your own laundry detergent

Ok, I have to admit that when I first heard of people doing this, I thought, you've got to be kidding me. It took me a while to come around but I thought, I'll just give it a try and see how it goes. Well, its been a year and an investment of only about $15 dollars. Can you believe that? That is the price of one container of detergent and we usually go through one about every 2 months.

I am completely sold on the idea now and it is so very easy (and did I mention, cheap!?) So here's the recipe in case you're feeling like giving it a try. It is simple and pain-free and only takes about 10 minutes to make enough to last our huge family about 6-8 weeks.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup washing soda -I use Arm and Hammer brand-not baking soda!
1 bar of Fels Naptha/Ivory or Zote-I've tried Fels Naptha and Ivory and both work fine, I prefer
the smell of the Fels Naptha though.
1/2 cup of Borax (20 mule team brand)
grater
sm. bucket-2 gallon size

Grate the soap and put in a sauce pan with 6 cups of boiling water. Stir occasionally until soap melts. This just takes a few minutes. Turn down the heat and add the washing soda and borax and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour 26 cups (a gallon and 10 cups) of hot water in the bucket and then add the soap mixture. Stir well and let sit overnight. It forms a gel. I have a front-loading washer so I just add about 1/4 cup directly into the load. I have friends that have used it in the soap dispenser but I am a little paranoid about that. I have 3 messy boys and have never had a problem with it getting clothes clean and fresh. I do continue to pre-treat for the messiest of stains just like I do with regular laundry detergent. I also continue to use fabric softener on all my loads and bleach for my whites.

No comments:

Post a Comment